For the students of the largest state of India, Uttar Pradesh, the hope of pursuing higher or undergraduate and post graduate education is seen in the test that is conducted by the Uttar Pradesh Technical University or UPTU. This university came into force in the year 2000, under the aegis of the government of Uttar Pradesh directly and is located at present in the campus of IET in Lucknow. It caters to a large state and therefore there are naturally a high number of students who are under the university.
- A large number of courses and institutes are affiliated to the University and therefore the students can study B Tech, M Tech, MCA, MBA, B Pharm, hotel management, architecture, etc courses in about 238 institutions of the state.
- Also, the institutions under the Mahamaya Technical University and Gautam Buddha Technical University can admit students through this entrance exam.
- It is one of the largest aggregations of colleges for which any particular entrance exam is being conducted, at least in the state level.
- The exam that will allow the students to read in these courses in the 238 institutes is known as the Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam or UPSEE exam. Almost all kinds of undergraduate and postgraduate as well as diploma programs can be done through the appearance in this exam. The UPSEE exam is conducted over a period of two day for different courses usually in the month of April.
- The rise in number of colleges from 49 in the year of establishment to the present number is an encouraging sign for the students. In most of the institutions, there is about 10% reservation for students of the national students.
- There are some private institutes which can take 15% of their strengths outside the ambit of the UPSEE exam. With such intake, the usual number of students of the recent data has been about 272000 in different streams.
The eligibility criteria:
- Students who have passed their 10+2 level from the different schools and colleges in UP are eligible for appearing in the exam.
- But for final admission in any institute, they will have to pass this qualifying exam.
- Such students whose parents are residents of Uttar Pradesh can also appear in the exam, even though they have studied in some college outside the state.
The examination format:
The examination format is based on answering in the OMR sheets but the students having wrong answers are not marked negatively.
The course or syllabus of the exam is based on the state board, ICSE and CBSE boards.
Students can now prepare for the UPSEE exam if they fulfil their eligibility criteria and are aware about the dates of the exam. The large number of seats and all types of courses that are possible to be done under the government colleges of the country is an encouragement for the students to put their best foot forward and prepare. The easy and fixed pattern of test is another advantage for the students. Many people have been able to get through these courses and institutions and build careers through the UPSEE exam, which makes the exam so much in demand among those who belong to the state of Uttar Pradesh.