Established with the merger of Eastern and Western Shipping Corporation during the year 1961, the Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) was set by the Government of India. Starting out as a marginal Liner shipping Company, the SCI has today evolved into the largest Indian shipping Company. At present SCI is regarded as one of the most honored Navaratna companies of India.
With the recent notification from the SCI, there is a notification for imparting training to Graduate Mechanical Engineering (B.E/ B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering) as Graduate Marine Engineer (GME) for 08 months shore based pre-sea training at MTI Powai followed by 10 (4+6) months on-board training for a batch of 40 candidates.
The details of the criteria for selection are as follows:
- Starting date for Online Registration of Application: 14-July-2014
- Last date for Online Registration of Application: 11-Aug-2014
- Last date for receipt of the hard copy of the application sheet: 18-Aug-2014 till 17:00 Hours
- Date of online examination: 24-Aug-2014
Name and Number of Vacancies:
- Graduate Marine Engineer: 40 Vacancies
- The applicant must have a Degree in Mechanical Engineering (B.E /B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering). Candidates appearing their final year/ semester of examination by 30-Aug-2014 are also eligible to apply.
- The applicants must have secured at least 50% marks with a good academic record throughout with not less than 50% marks in English in the 10th or 10+2 level
- Equivalent qualifications are not eligible to apply for these positions.
- The applicants must not have crossed 24 years of age as on 1-Sept-2014 the date of commencement of training.
- There will be consideration for relaxation in maximum age limit SC/ ST/ OBC candidates as per rules.
- Women candidates will enjoy 2 years of age relaxation.
- The candidates must have a good Medical Standard as per the normal Sea norms. He/ She must possess good vision.
- Height: 157 cm
- Weight in proportion to height
- The criteria may be relaxed for specific candidates from Tribal and Hilly region.
Training & Course Fees:
- The selected candidates have to undergo shore-based training for 8 months.
- The candidates will be trained as Graduate Marine Engineers and will have to borne the course fee in complete. The course fee will be approximately Rs.400000 for male and Rs.350000 for female candidates.
- After completion of the course, the candidates will be inducted as trainee for on-board training in SCI for a period of 10 (4+6) months.
- Upon successful completion such candidates may be selected for permanent employment at SCI.
- After obtaining necessary sea experience and higher certificates of competence the candidate can rise to the rank of Chief Engineer officer on the ship.
- The candidates will have to appear an all India Written Examination.
- The SCI may shortlist candidates for Written Test.
- After successful completion of the Written Test, the candidates will be called for Interview in the ratio of 1:3.
- The final selection will be based on the performance in the Interview and the marks obtained in the Written Examination.
- For SC/ ST Candidates: Rs.500
- For all others: Rs.1000
- The fee can be remitted through NEFT as per the details mentioned at http://scigme.eadmissions.net/Images/SCI_Adv.pdf
- The fee has to be deposited in the State Bank of India Account No. 10972426052 maintained at Backbay Reclamation branch (Code:1593) in the name of The Shipping Corporation Of India Ltd., Mumbai (IFSC Code: SBIN0001593)
How To Apply:
- The candidates who are eligible as per the criteria set with this advertisement can apply online through the web portal of SCI at www.shipindia.com
- The candidates need to ensure that they have all competencies as detailed in the eligible criteria as on the advertisement at http://scigme.eadmissions.net/Images/SCI_Adv.pdf
- The application complete in all respect must be submitted online only after the deposit of application fees at designated banks.
- The candidates need to take a printout of the application (hardcopy) attach that with the necessary documents and fee payment receipt and send that to the address mentioned below on or before the scheduled date through Ordinary-Post/ Courier/ Speed-Post/ Registered-Post only. No hand-delivery will be acceptable.
- Filling of multiple applications will result in cancellation of all applications
- The hardcopy of the applications along with fee payment receipt and other necessary certificates should be enclosed in an envelope and that must be super-scribed as “APPLICATION FOR GRADUATE MARINE ENGINEER”
- The address to send completed application:
The Senior Vice-President
Third Floor, Fleet Personnel Department
245, Shipping House, Madame Cama Road, Nariman Point
Mumbai 400021, Maharashtra, India