Search Trending Now:
Admission Requirements for Study in Sweden
Cost of Studying in Sweden
Student Visa Requirements for Study in Sweden
Study Abroad Programs in Sweden
Study in Sweden Scholarships
Top Universities in Sweden
Why study in Sweden?
Growth And Strengthening Of Education System By Spain Drawing Foreign Students In Hordes
One of the most beautiful countries, which have not been exploited by foreign students for academic purposes, Sweden promises to be one of the best countries in Europe for higher education system. With climatic conditions, cuisine and good outdoors, the living conditions are perfect for the foreign students. Even cultural acceptance in Sweden is quite high, due to which people do not feel as outsiders. The education system has improved in the last few years, so that the students can pursue quality higher education in the humanities and technological universities in Sweden with ease and convenience.
Why study in Sweden
Studying abroad is a big step in the life of the students, and therefore it has to be taken with sufficient information and thought. Sweden is a country in the Europe, which ensures the development of skills for tomorrow. Universities in Sweden have openness about them, with group work having strong focus, so that these students fit into the team players’ category that most of the companies are seeking these days.
With a forward thinking culture, most of the Swedish universities are working towards such a goal. Plenty of opportunities can be obtained through the master’s degree courses to practice in life, with close cooperation between various industries. Such a work and study culture, without surprise, has brought 3 universities of Sweden in the top 100 and 11 in the top 500 list of Academic Ranking of World Universities of 2010.
Students can reach their full potential by entering into the courses in Sweden, because these require the students to identify their strengths and harness them in potential talent. Since the academic environment is student-centric, doubts and tutorial sessions are held regularly. Student teacher relation is informal to the extent that the teachers are called by their first names. Active role, as a student, is required to be taken in seminars, lectures and group discussions.
Education system in Sweden allows the students to develop individual strengths and refine academic abilities. Sweden has always been in the forefront of research and academic qualifications, with many international corporations having their genesis in this country. The computer mouse, Bluetooth device, pacemaker, ball bearing and the biggest manufacturer SKF, Tetra Pack for beverage packing, are some of the enterprises that have been started here.
Companies with Swedish backgrounds are Ericsson, Skype, Volvo, Scania, Electrolux, Sandvik, IKEA, H & M, etc which have a niche place in their respective field of work. Lastly, the presence of noble prize society since the 15th century proves that the research based activities had been present in the country since many centuries ago. Applying for study in Sweden, allows the students to be part of an elite group of people.
The education system in Sweden is almost like that in the entire Europe where it is divided into technological and humanities. There are universities with institutes that deal with different subjects with medicine, engineering, business and social sciences, fine arts, interdisciplinary studies, and natural sciences, which have facilitated students from different communities to arrive here and pursue their courses of their choices.
Since there are different levels of courses that are being provided to the students from foreign countries, students should check the admission requirements for the courses for which they are interested.
- For the undergraduate courses, or the first cycle, students need to have a valid upper secondary level course completed with a valid school leaving certificate. The candidates should have qualified to go for higher education in their host country. Knowledge of English language is sometimes required to be proved by clearing qualifying exams like IELTS.
- Second cycle or masters degree program requires the applicants to have completed their bachelor program, while the third cycle or PhD courses are in need of candidates with pass at master’s degree or diploma courses.
Students, who are coming from non-EU countries or from those countries which are not included under the Schengen agreement, need to apply for student resident visa, if they want to continue their stay for more than 3 months. This residence permit can be first issued for 1 year and then can be extended till the period of education.
In order to apply for the student visa or residence permit to study in a university in Sweden, the candidates will have to visit the consulate in their host country or put in their forms by applying online, except for those students who are from Hong Kong and China. Since the processing of the student visa takes about 6-8 weeks, people should start their application procedure much before their day of going to Sweden. Certain documents that are needed along with the application form are
- A copy of in the pages of the passport, where stamping can be done
- Letter of acceptance from higher educational institute in which the student has got admission
- Two passport sized photographs which shouldn’t be more than 6 months old
- A bank statement or a letter from the guardian or parents approving that there is all possibility of supporting the student financially
- Copy of health insurance plan
- Application free receipt
Cost of living and study in Sweden
For the students coming in from non-EU countries, the tuition fee is not free but the doctoral and PhD courses are pursued without any tuition fees. Universities have the independence to fix their own fee which can range from SEK 80,000 to 140,000 per year for different subjects.
- For students who are paying their fee, the universities will provide a health insurance free of cost. If the study period is for more than one year, then people will be able to get the same health benefits as the Swedes.
- Students can join the local student groups by paying a small amount of SEK 50-100 and avail of various facilities given to the students.
- Living expenses are usually to the extent of SEK 7,300 per month, which is also the amount that is required to be shown in the bank account proof for applying for residence permit.
- Linnaeus Palme program allows the teachers and students from various countries to come to Sweden, by applying through the home university.
- World Bank Scholarship and Fellowship program offers students of master’s degree some financial assistance from the developing countries.
- Erasmus Mundus Action 1 program is provided to non-EU students by the universities in Sweden by collaboration with many funding agencies and these are mostly for the field of technology and science.
- Bilateral scholarships are provided to students based on agreement between specific countries, which presently is restricted to China, Japan and Italy.
- Under the university scholarship programs, tuition fee waiver can be directly availed from the universities. Many universities in Sweden are offering these scholarship programs for the students from foreign countries.
Many Swedish institute Scholarship programs are being offered to students from different countries at different levels of education. Guest scholarship programs are for students from various countries at the post doctoral and PhD programs. Swedish Institute Study Scholarships are available for students from many countries at the masters and bachelor degree courses, who are highly qualified in their own countries.
After finishing the studies in Sweden, the students will have to extend their visa because they will not be allowed to stay any further in the state after the expiry. But if the candidates are selected by companies in Sweden, then the paper-works will be carried out by the recruiting company, which is a great benefit for the aboard students. In order to achieve a prospective career, the students can take up technological subjects and also bring research in their prospective so that they can be in an advantageous position in their job scenario.